Eclipse™ Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout
2014 Eclipse™ Futures Information
What happens when you take an award winning Imperial Stout, put it in oak bourbon barrels, and then age it for six months? One of the most epic beer tasting experiences you will ever have: ECLIPSE™.
Imperial Stouts are noted for being very rich substantial beers, and FiftyFifty’s Totality Imperial Stout does not disappoint on this fact. Brewed in small 300 gallons batches, our brewers lovingly craft this masterpiece once a year. Made with the finest malts, hops, fresh mountain water and yeast, over 18 separate ingredients lend their unique character to this beer.
To become Eclipse, Totality is then aged for a minimum of 180 days in oak bourbon barrels. This time spent adds a plethora of flavors to the already rich Imperial Stout. At first taste there is a large presence of dark chocolate, espresso and warmth from the alcohol of the beer. Oak barrel character then comes into play with hints of vanilla and coconut, followed by mild bitterness from the hops, and then a nice long lingering finish with hints of tobacco, dark dried fruit and more chocolate. Eclipse is a wonderful companion with dessert. A beer meant for contemplation best enjoyed in a snifter and with a friend.
Because of the extensive brewing and aging process, Eclipse is only released once a year.
March-April: Brew Totality
Mid April:Futures available
May: Begin aging in oak barrels
November: Bottle and keg
December: Official Release & Party
Frequently Asked Questions:
“Will all of the Eclipse styles be available at release?”
- If our yields are reasonable, all styles will be available at the brewery upon release. Most styles will also be made available to our distributors.
“Where are you distributing?”
- You’ll find distributor details with our Retail Information.
“Will my local bottle shop / pub carry Eclipse?”
- Our distributors will ultimately make the decision as to which retailers end up with our product. Talk to your favorite place now to make sure they know you want it, so they can work with the distributors!
“When will Eclipse be available?”
- Bottling begins in November. The official product release will be at the party in December, and will be available to the general public immediately afterwards.
Awards & Accolades:
Totality Imperial Stout (Base Stout For Eclipse):
- 2011 Great American Beer Festival – Bronze Medal, Other Strong Beer
- 2010 European Beer Star Awards – Silver Medal, Imperial Stout
- 2010 Australian International Beer Awards – Gold Medal, Imperial Stout
- 2009 Great American Beer Festival – Bronze Medal, Other Strong Beer
- 2008 Great American Beer Festival – Bronze Medal, Other Strong Beer
Eclipse Barrel Aged Imperial Stout:
- 2011 European Beer Star Awards – Silver Medal, Wood Aged Beer
- 2010 Australian International Beer Awards – Silver Medal, Wood Aged Beer
- 2009 Australian International Beer Awards – Silver Medal, Wood Aged Beer
- 2009 Draft MagazineTMTop 25 Beers
- “1001 Beers You Must Taset Before You Die”, By Adrian Tierney-Jones, Neil Morrissey